When can I apply?
NH Sea Grant welcomes proposals for Development Funds at any time. Decisions regarding development funds are made on a discretionary basis by the NH Sea Grant Executive Committee and depend on available funds.
Who can apply?
Faculty and researchers with principal investigator status at any institution of higher education and research in New Hampshire are eligible to receive Program Development Funds.
UNH faculty who are approved for NH Sea Grant Development Funds are required to submit a 'Request for Internal Approval of Grant or Contract Application to External Sponsor' to the Sponsored Programs Administration. Investigators from other New Hampshire institutions must abide by their own sponsored research guidelines.
How much funding is available?
Awards range from $1,000 to $7,500 (max), and only one development award per year is usually approved for a researcher. Total funds available during any one year generally range from $20,000 to $35,000.
How can development funds be used?
Appropriate uses for NH Sea Grant Development Funds, in order of priority with the first item given strongest preference for funding:
- Research that will lead to and improve a full NH Sea Grant proposal. Please consult the 2018-2021 NH Sea Grant Strategic Plan for a description of program priorities and goals
- Research that will lead to additional or increased funding for the principal investigator from any extramural funding agency
- Funding for workshops and meetings that are led by New Hampshire marine researchers or are related to NH Sea Grant-funded research
- Travel to present the results of NH Sea Grant-funded research. However, please note that investigators are expected to request these funds in their full research proposals.
Development funds cannot be used to purchase equipment, defined as apparatus costing $5,000 or more.
How do I apply?
Submit your Development Project Proposal on eSeaGrant.unh.edu. Application will include the following components:
- Brief description of the work to be performed
- List of project participants, with contact information
- Rationale for seeking NH Sea Grant Development Funds based on the appropriate uses of funds listed above
- Itemized budget (90-4) and budget justification.
- Abbreviated NOAA Environmental Compliance Questionnaire
- Submit your Development Project Proposal on eSeaGrant.unh.edu
- Request For Proposal (RFP) Development Funding (Full Proposal), click on "Add Proposal"
- Executive Committee Review
- Notification of Executive Committee funding decision.
Steve Jones, Ph.D.
Associate Director & Assistant Director for Research