The National Sea Grant College Program's John A. Knauss Marine Policy Fellowship provides a unique educational and professional experience to graduate students who have an interest in ocean, coastal, and Great Lakes resources and in the national policy decisions affecting those resources. The Fellowship, named after one of Sea Grant's founders, former NOAA Administrator, John A. Knauss, matches highly qualified graduate students with "hosts" in the legislative and executive branch of government located in the Washington, D.C. area, for a one-year paid fellowship.
Lindsey Williams, Ph.D.
Fellowships Program Leader
NH Sea Grant
- A student must be enrolled towards a degree in a graduate program at any point between the onset of the 2022 Fall Term (quarter, trimester, semester, etc.) and February 16, 2023;
- The student’s graduate degree program must be through an accredited institution of higher education in the United States or U.S. Territories;
- Students are eligible regardless of nationality; domestic and international students at accredited U.S. institutions may apply; and
- Applicants must have an interest in ocean, coastal and Great Lakes resources and in the national policy decisions affecting those resources.
Length of Fellowship
1-year fellowship (February 1 - January 31 annually)
Application deadline to NHSG: February 16, 2023 by 5 p.m.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to reach out to NH Sea Grant Program one to two months prior to the application deadline to receive application support and provide notification of an intent to apply. The applicant should allow sufficient time to schedule an interview with NH Sea Grant's Director, Erik Chapman.
Each Sea Grant program may select and forward to the national competition no more than six (6) applicants selected according to criteria listed in the federal funding opportunity.
To apply: Applications to the national competition must come from Sea Grant programs, not individual applicants. Applications to NH Sea Grant must be submitted via email to NH Sea Grant's Director, Dr. Erik Chapman (email@example.com).
Sponsor: National Sea Grant College Program
Resources and tips for applicants:
- Knauss Fellowship webpage on the National Sea Grant website
- 2024 Sea Grant Knauss Fellowship Student Guide
- Student Application Guide to Sea Grant Fellowships