NH Sea Grant and UNH Cooperative Extension are working to help people in New Hampshire understand:
- The benefits of and possibilities offered by the use of seaweeds in cooking
- The way in which seaweeds can be used in aquaculture
Our field guide "Common seaweeds on New Hampshire shores" features different types of local seaweeds, images for identifying, seasonal availability, and likely intertidal location. If you have an interest in foraging for seaweed, check out our Seaweed Mania! workshops, listed at the bottom of this page.
- When foraging seaweeds for personal use, be aware of pertinent state regulations, do your research and use common sense when looking for safe, clean sites to harvest.
- Harvest each organism in a way that allows it to regenerate and reproduce. Do not pull seaweeds or damage or remove them by their holdfast. Never harvest more than 25% of the seaweed in a stand.
- Depending on the species of seaweed you are harvesting, only cut the tips. Look for fresh, healthy, "floating" seaweeds, as these are easier to collect and still edible.
- Do not go to the same harvesting site repeatedly; give the site time to recover.
- Always use what you collect, never collect more than you can use, and remember to enjoy!
Seaweed as Food
NH Sea Grant has partnered with UNH Cooperative Extension, Maine Sea Grant, and Stages at One Washington (Dover, NH) to host local events and workshops that bring you into the field and into the kitchen with seaweed! Attend our Seaweed Mania! events and learn about the health benefits of seaweed and how to incorporate sea vegetables (what seaweed is called once prepared) as an ingredient in your cooking. Don't know where to buy or find seaweed? No problem! We can shows you the best, local sources for seaweed foraging.
Recent workshops have featured an introduction to the types of seaweeds found on the NH coast. Learn how to identify different species of seaweed, how to handle seaweed, and how to safely forage. Culinary demonstrations with will teach you how to prepare creative and healthy dishes, alongside professional chefs and chocolatiers!